Driven technology leader with a wide range of expertise in designing and building complex business applications and infrastructure. Team builder who excels at coaching and growing highly productive Agile teams. Proven track record of bringing business and technology stakeholders together to design practical and cost-effective solutions. Competent problem solver who thrives in customer-focused business environments. Strong leader who inspires others to operational excellence and successful project delivery.
Software Engineering Director – Dec 2020 – Present
- Led three Agile software engineering teams for the retail division of Truist Insurance Holdings, enhancing and supporting 25 application platforms within the division.
- Executed development of a comprehensive financial analytics system to enable data-driven executive decision making and company-wide operational improvements.
- Drove integration of business applications into continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines to streamline software development and deployments.
- Coached Agile teams and team leaders to improve delivery speed, product reliability, teammate satisfaction and overall effectiveness within Truist’s software delivery organization.
Software Development Manager, Insurance – Dec 2018 – Dec 2020
- Directed software development for the retail division of BB&T’s insurance holdings, managing a department of 25 software developers and analysts.
- Hired and developed a new team Data & Analytics practice to centralize business intelligence operations within the Retail Insurance division, earning $12 million in new annualized revenue.
- Successfully transitioned two software development teams to the Agile methodology, improving predictability and throughput of deliverables.
Enterprise Application Architect – Aug 2016 – Dec 2018
- Managed multiple software development teams spanning the retail and wholesale divisions of BB&T Insurance Holdings.
- Analyzed portfolio of 350 business applications and coordinated authentication and logging remediation efforts to improve information security across the line of business.
- Provided guidance and integration resources into an enterprise application rationalization project that culminated in consolidation of dozens of business applications into the most capable platforms.
- Managed effort to analyze application portfolio for compliance with New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) Cybersecurity Regulation and organized efforts to bring applications into compliance.
- Streamlined 150 data transformation processes to enable increased capacity within data management teams using offshore resources.
IT Application Delivery Manager – Aug 2013 – Aug 2016
- Expanded the development and sales of the division’s flagship suite of technology products, which is used by 250,000 employees across 150 corporate customers in all 50 states.
- Drove significant revenue gains for the insurance division while supporting the bank’s strategic efforts to deploy my team’s products throughout its national sales footprint, adding $2.5 million in new annualized revenue.
- Supervised the design, development and ongoing support of a large portfolio of enterprise web applications in a highly-regulated banking IT environment.
- Implemented full Software Development Life Cycle and Change Management processes for a team of ten application developers and database engineers.
- Directed 2nd and 3rd level application support teams, providing 24×7 support and incident response for enterprise customers.
- Managed IT department budget, provided workload planning, business process improvement, IT project management and advanced reporting services for BB&T’s insurance line of business.
Manager, Web Development – Sept 2004 – Aug 2013
- Responsible for the overall direction of all technology initiatives for California’s largest independent employee benefits consulting firm.
- Supervised the company’s data management department and developed software to perform complex electronic data interchange with nearly every major medical insurance company and numerous healthcare providers. Primary technologies include Microsoft C#, SQL and SQL Server Integration Services.
- Responsible for the application design and development to support all of the agency’s innovative health promotion strategies, creating single sign-on and data interchange solutions with major industry partners such as WebMD, Anthem, JPMorgan Chase and Kaiser Permanente.
- Managed the organization’s entire IT infrastructure during a multi-year technology merger, including multiple VMware environments, Cisco networking equipment, storage area networks, Windows Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Linux servers and a Cisco Unified Communications system.
Walt Disney Company
Senior Systems Administrator – Feb 2000 – Sept 2004
- Team leader responsible for managing the servers, applications and content behind many of the Walt Disney Company’s largest web sites, including Disney.com, ABC.com, Oscars.com and DisneyStore.com.
- Designed and implemented hosting and content management systems for Oscars.com during the Academy Awards from the year 2001 through 2003 in cooperation with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and ABC Television. Organized and executed the scaling of the web sites for severe traffic bursts as well as enabled fault tolerant, real-time content publishing from the red carpet at the Kodak theater on Oscar night.
- Worked as the technical liaison between the web engineering, content development and production teams as well as outside contractors.
- Maintained, upgraded, monitored and integrated a wide variety of web technologies, including caching engines, databases, web applications, network load balancers, commerce sites, routers and file servers.
- Implemented standardized incident, change and configuration management policies across the Walt Disney Internet Group as part of the IT Service Management team.
- Developed web server optimization standards for Windows servers and IIS to ensure maximum performance and reliability across all Disney-owned sites.
- Defined standards and practices to secure multiple enterprise web hosting environments as part of the Disney Internet Group Security Council.
California State University, Fullerton — Bachelors, Business Administration/Finance
City of Fullerton
City Council Member – 2012
- Elected to legislate and manage the financial well-being of a California city with 138,000 residents.
- Provided leadership and policy guidance to balance and protect the city’s $250 million budget during a period of economic crisis and significant statewide legislative changes.
- Created a city partnership with the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research to produce a groundbreaking regional study on the long term financial effects of pension debt on municipal finances.
- Awarded “Best New Public Official in Orange County” by the Orange County Weekly magazine for public commitment to transparency and financial reforms.
City Planning Commissioner – 2011 – 2012
- Made administrative land use decisions and policy recommendations as part of the City of Fullerton Planning Commission.
- Worked with government officials, local business leaders and representatives of the public to drive positive outcomes that balanced the needs of businesses and residents in the city of Fullerton.
|Software Engineering||Agile and Scrum||Strategic IT Planning|
|Coaching||Disaster Recovery Planning||Regulatory Compliance|
|Data & Analytics||Cloud Platforms||Vendor Management|
|Software Development Lifecycle||Project Management||Application Security|
|Corporate Finance||Budgeting||Test Automation|